Wednesday 3 December 2014

Genre of the Day: Fantasy and Paranormal Genre


Hey!

I've been trying to think of a way to split up the fantasy section so I think I'm just going to go for it and talk about some of my favourite aspects of the fantasy genre!

I love this genre because its soooooooooooooo massive and can have so many different supernatural and paranormal aspects into it. So I will get over the first classic fantasy type novels and those are vampire, I went through the twilight phase. Yes I read it and I didn't mind it its quite a nice series and it reminds me of my youth, even though I'm not that old

I went through a wide range of books after twilight and I went through that after twilight phase of fantasy, such as the Evernight series by Claudia Gray this has a really interesting take on vampires and vampire hunters plus a little ghosty which is one of the reasons why I liked it. I also read some of the series by Alyson Noel such as the Immortal Series, talking about immortally and the price that comes with that and the Soul Seeker series this is about a girl who discovers something isn't right when she sees and does things that are out of this world!. The obvious after twilight book for me was the Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare who also has a lot of the supernatural aspects in it.

A series about Vampires!
4th Book cause this Cover!
About being Immortal


I like these supernatural aspects because its something different and there is so many different variations which can particularly seen with vampires and is such a classic genre on itself. I haven't read a lot of some of the fantasy genres on there own such as werewolves and fairies but I have read technically my first alien book! Woo me!

I love the variety of it, a series I read called the Shadow Falls series by C.C Hunter I liked because it had a bit of everything and was in such a unique camp setting, vampires, werewolves, witch/warlock, shapeshifters and fae. But I also like the high adventure type fantasy novels, some of my favorites that I would call fantasy are C.S Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia, based on the creation and adventures people take when they get whisked away to Naria and the Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman, follows a couple of different parallel universes, a great adventure series. They have such an old school vibe and have such awesome characters plus the story and the concept are really deep and actually have a meaning for me plus can be read at any age.

Supernatural Series
A great mystery series
A classic series!

The thing I like is it creates a new world and I think that's where fantasy loses people because you have to get through that first book, its so important if you want to get into fantasy and give it a good go then you have to stick with it because fantasy is all about building, its about building that world and you will thank the author later for having such a clear awesome system to that world!
A older adventure series
I love a good adventure too, most fantasy novels that I love have a great big adventure like a mission to go on, a lot of paranormal fantasy is missing that for me sometimes

I am reading a fantasy series at the moment its called the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind, its not for a younger audience as it does have some graphic aspects to it and I think that's what puts people off about the series but I like it however its hard to get into. If you look at goodreads about this series it has terrible reviews and I think that's just because people get different things from it, its not my favorite series sure but its not that bad.

Fantasy is such a big umbrella and a lot of the time you just have to feel your way around it, I believe its a ever changing genre and its always fun to read

Hope that gives you a little inside info on some aspects of fantasy and paranormal that I like and some of the series that I have read.

I hope you are doing well and have a great day
Peace : )


(All pictures from Goodreads.com, if you want more info)

No comments:

Post a Comment