Tuesday 12 May 2015

My First review! SPELLCASTER BY CLAUDIA GRAY!

Spellcaster By Claudia Gray


Yo this cover!
Series: Spellcaster Series #1

Published: March 5th 2013 by HarperTeen


Genre: Young Adult Paranormal


Goodreads Synopsis:

"When Nadia’s family moves to Captive’s Sound, she instantly realizes there’s more to it than meets the eye. Descended from witches, Nadia senses a dark and powerful magic at work in her new town. Mateo has lived in Captive’s Sound his entire life, trying to dodge the local legend that his family is cursed - and that curse will cause him to believe he’s seeing the future … until it drives him mad. When the strange dreams Mateo has been having of rescuing a beautiful girl—Nadia—from a car accident come true, he knows he’s doomed. 


Despite the forces pulling them apart, Nadia and Mateo must work together to break the chains of his family’s terrible curse, and to prevent a disaster that threatens the lives of everyone around them"

Find out more HERE


My Thoughts (Tried to be only a little spoilery)

I have never really read many books about witches (Besides the amazingness that is Harry Potter) so when I found out Claudia Gray's next book was a witch series I was excited to get into this genre more.

The story is follows Nadia as her family move to Captive Sounds after her mother abandons her family. Everything changes when she comes into town being saved by a mysteriuos stranger Mateo as she feels the dark forces of magic at play all around and in the town. It goes through her dealing with the fallout of trying to learn to be a witch with no teacher, creating interesting and dangerous combination for them and a exciting story for us! The town is full of magic but where is it coming from and how can she change whats been going on for years...


I like the characters and the relationships in this story, and is one of the reasons I love Claudia Gray's writing as she creates such great characters and personalities that can clash but also fit so well together! I like that even though Nadia has lost the ability to really learn magic and that side of herself it doesn't stop her from trying, as normally her mother should teach her all about this. Even though they are all affected from her mothers desertion Nadia still is acting as the pillar keeping the family together and taking care of them, it creates a loving atmosphere and relationship between Nadia and her father and brother. She is strong and I'm interesting to see the way Claudia takes her character.


The male character Mateo has such an interesting history as to how his family is involved with magic and Captive Sound but also his relationships with his own family which we get to see. I did find it hard to love Mateo at the beginning and it took me some time to find his place in the story. He relationship with best friend Elizabeth is interesting, seeing how she is with Mateo throughout the story but also how she feels about the immediate connection that Mateo has with Nadia. I thought these characters would create a love triangle but was surprised but the actual connection these characters have. I love that you get to see that he is a sweet person and very protective of his friends particularly Elizabeth and he doesn't look down at Nadia I really love there connection and the way they respect each other for who they are. And YAY for no insta love! woop woop


A character I really want to see more of is Verlaine, she is Nadia's best friend as they immediately connect when Nadia starts school. She is a really easy character to relate to as we have all been there bullied and the outcast at some point, you understand why Nadia and Verlaine become friends. She gives the story a nice stark with her funny comments (Plus she has amazing hair!), she is honest but loyal and compassionate I really hope that we get more Verlaine in the next books because she isn't like other characters and I really do think she connects more to the story then is on the surface in this first book.


I also really like that Claudia Gray likes to be diverse in her books as this is full with so many different types of people and they all have such different family lives that it makes for a great read character wide, I hope that she continues to be more developing with her characters in the next 2 books.


The setting is really cool, its not your classic small town story from the beginning the reader and Nadia know there is something else going on here. You see it in the descriptions of the town that there is so many dark and twisted houses. It brings a mood of a little doom and gloom there you know something isn't right its like something is just sucking the soul from the town and I liked that dark contrast.


I just want to say how different and unique the magic system is in this book! it reminds me a lot of the classic ideas of witches where its always the woman and they pass the skills down through there daughters and have covens and what not but its not making potions or using spell books. Spells are connected with memories and emotions and each creates something different from making fire to changing your appearance. Its fun seeing Nadia try to understand them and learn as much as she can to help this town and uncover its secrets. Plus who wouldn't want to know how to levitate I mean come on that would be so cool!


I don't want to talk about who the villain is but oh golly it got me this book, I was not sure who it was for a time there and then I was like NO WAY! but the villain is done so well, its understated in there moves against the main characters. The villain is smart but also doesn't care about anyone but getting what they want and getting all the power. I love the way Claudia Gray writes villains and how they change I'm very excited to see where she takes it forward with the next books!


I feel like Claudia Gray as a writer is amazing, her novels for me just flow and you totally can end up reading these books in one sitting! The story flows and so does the characters. I love the development that she puts into her novels we get the back story of Nadia but also some of the culture surrounded the other characters and of course the magic system which is easy to follow yet still complex enough to be interesting and hold your attention.


My rating:





My First review please be gentle...

I hope your doing great and have a great day
Peace :)

No comments:

Post a Comment